About Me

My photo
I am a swimmer and I currently live and train in Dublin. I have had success in swimming within Ireland claiming multiple National titles and National records. I am looking to compete at an international level and transfer some of my success at national level to international competition.

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Progress & Process

Finishing college has allowed me to start enjoying the small things about training again. More often than not it’s the small things that make the biggest difference, they are usually the least obvious but their importance should not be underestimated.



Celtic Tri-Nations is on in Swansea from may 27th – 29th. Tri-Nations is always a good competition and there are usually some fast swimmers to race against. It is the the first time since 2009 that I am swimming for an Irish team at international competition. There is something different about racing for Ireland when it’s against Celts from two other countries. There is a similar quiet competitiveness amongst the three nations that can make racing each other very interesting.

Day one is the 200 fly for me, the heats were a pleasant surprise. A 2.07.0 was a good swim in the heats and 2.07.1 added an air of consistency to my day. Big swims from my team mates as well today, Karl Burdis on the men’s 4 x 100 freestyle relay that saw them win the race and Niamh O’Sullivan as part of the women’s 4 x 200 freestyle relay with the Irish girls dominating from start to finish.

Day two was my main event, the 400IM. I had no racing in the morning but the final of the 400IM in the afternoon session. My time was a 2.39 which is PB +12sec, not a great swim by any stretch of the imagination but I followed up with an ok swim on the men's 4 x 200 freestyle relay. The whole team had a busy night of racing and I think some of us were the feeling it a bit.But some words of wisdom from Coach Banks reassured us in what we had to do the next day.

Day three, I hadn’t been feeling great on the final day of the gala, a bit of an upset stomach, the details are a bit gruesome. I took the heat swim in the morning at a “steady” pace, touching in a 2.19. For my afternoon swim I decided to have a go despite not feeling well. Clocking a 2.09 was a good swim I thought all things considered. Our guys 4 x 100 Medley relay put up a really good fight, leading at the half way mark, only to be touched out at the wall by Scotland in a tight finish.

Sometimes you just have to get up and get the job done as best as you can, you never know what your situation may be come a big meet. A valuable learning experience. It’s always important to have something to bring back to the training pool from a swim meet, even if it didn’t meet all your expectations.

Getting a blackberry in the very near future, my tweets are going to be awesome….YEAH SON! http://twitter.com/#!/Swynning_Man89

Results: http://www.welshasa.co.uk/liveresults/

No comments:

Post a Comment